backgground

Monday, December 6, 2010

When Life Doesn't go According to Plan...

I know you're all in shock that I'm actually posting something as its been several months since I've blogged. After reading this I'm sure you will forgive me though.

Back in August we found out I was pregnant. We were very very excited to be expecting our first baby (to say the least). We didn't expect to get pregnant so fast after trying for just a month!! Both our families were thrilled for their first grandchild and great grandchild to finally be on its way as its been a long time coming (we've been married for over 4 years now). I was so happy to be pregnant and to have a baby in April, the doctor even told me my due date was April 10th--my Birthday.

Well, the excitement was short lived as it all turned out to be too good to be true. When I was 12 weeks along I miscarried. Nothing could have prepared me for the loss I felt for the weeks and months following the miscarriage. I felt like someone had played a cruel joke on me, and that all my plans for the future had been thrown out the window. I was completely devastated and depressed. "How can this be happening to me?" & "What did I do wrong?" were constant thoughts going through my head. I was a huge mess of emotions--anger, sadness, guilt, frustration, confusion, etc.

I know some of you have experienced miscarriages as well, and for those who have, my heart goes out to you. I can truly empathize with your pain.

It never use to bother me when I would hear about others' pregnancies, babies, children, etc. I always felt genuinely happy and excited for others, knowing that one day I would get pregnant and have a baby of my own when I was ready. Then, it would be my turn to blog and post pictures of my cute belly, and then baby. After my miscarriage, however, it all started to bother me. How could some people be on their 2nd and 3rd pregnancies when I had yet to experience my 1st? How was that fair? I was angry and frustrated constantly.

For months I felt like there was nothing going on in my life of any importance whatsoever, definitely nothing worth blogging about. Pictures of vacations we had been on, or pictures of my dog, or posts about movies we'd seen or new furniture we bought suddenly seemed so frivolous and mundane. How could any of these things compare to being able to blog about pregnancy or the birth of a new child?

Looking back, I can now say I've experienced the ever-so talked about "grieving process" [denial, guilt, anger, bargaining, depression, acceptance]. I've finally come to the point of accepting the miscarriage, and realizing that my plan is not the only plan. I know Heavenly Father has a plan for me, a plan for each of us. I know His plan doesn't always run parallel to mine. All my life I've been a "planner", and this was one time life didn't go according to plan for me. I know I need to trust in Heavenly Father and have faith in His love.

I'm so grateful for a loving, supportive family (especially husband) that has been more than kind and loving towards me during this difficult trial. Through prayers & tears I've felt myself growing closer to my Savior, Jesus Christ, knowing that he has physically experienced the same feelings and emotions I have. I know the love of Christ has truly healed my pain. I also know the pain I've felt doesn't even compare to the pain & sorrows He felt and bore for us. "He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief; and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not. Surely he has borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows; yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted. But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities, the chastisement of our peace was upon him, and with His stripes....we are healed." (-Mosiah 14:3-5)

12 comments:

Sarah and Wes said...

Andrea, I love you girl. If you need anything, I'm only a state away.

Sarah and Wes said...

You have amazing strength. I miss you!

Jenn said...

That is so difficult and I am so sorry you had to go through this. I think having a miscarriage can be one of the most difficult things to deal with and I am also amazed by your strength. It's hard when things don't happen in our timeframe, but the Lord does have a specific plan for us and sometimes we just have to trust in Him and have faith which is exactly what you have done.

Burky's said...

I am sorry! I can only imagine and my heart hurts. I am sure Heavenly Father has more great things in store for you. I hope you can continue to feel better and more like yourself soon! It was good to hear from you!

Kourtni said...

Andrea, you are so awesome and I really admire the strength you've found through this trial. Let's hang out again soon (just us girls, away from my CRAZY apartment).

Stephanie Braithwaite said...

I'm so sorry. I'll be thinking of you.

Sheri said...

Thanks for posting this Andrea. I admire your strength through something so extremely difficult and I am touched by your testimony. Looking forward to your return to blogging!

Dani Francom said...

Oh Andrea, I'm at a loss of what to say. My heart is going out to you. Having a miscarriage is like losing a loved one, and when it's a child I believe it is even harder. You will be in my prayers, though it sounds like you've been through the worst of it. I'm so glad you turned to our Savior - thank you for your testimony. Keep in touch.

Sarah said...

Andrea i had no idea. I am so sad for you right now and am so sorry you had to go through that. I hope that soon enough you will be pregnant because you will be such a good mom.

Tyson and Shelise said...

Its so true that life doesnt always go according to the plan we have for ourselves, it rarely does. I have learned looking back at past experiences that Heavenly Father truly does have timing for everything, and though we may have different ideas as to when certain things should happen he is the only one who really knows what is best for us and will help us become the people that we need to be. I think you are amazing and I am so sorry that you had to go through that, and I know that you will be a great Mother someday!

Taylor Tribute said...

Andrea! Hey girl I Love you! You and I have gone through the same thing this year. I'm truly sorry you have had this experience. I know you will be an amazing mom one day:) Probably sooner than you even know:) Sometimes I have asked myself why I had to go through this trial (there are probably millions of reasons I don't even know or understand) but for me, I think I needed to know how much I truly wanted to be a mom, among all my whys:P. I know that may sound funny. I know though when I had this experience I was comforted by the peace of knowing that once I am a mom, I will always be a mom for eternity. I know you are too. You are super strong! Even though we lived near each other for just a short time and now we are states apart, I feel closer to you. Thank you for sharing your experience and your testimony.

Andrea and Preston said...

Thank you, friends. Your kind words and support mean the world to me. I am so blessed to have wonderful people in my life.